In the Scratch Forums, Scratch Team member natalie published and stickied a forum thread titled Scratch Secrets. It lists many unknown tips and tricks, many of which improve a Scratcher's programming skills.
These are the tips listed in the forum thread:
- Finding a sprite- To show a sprite that is off-screen or hidden, right-click on its thumbnail in the sprites list and select Show.
- Costumes into sprites- To turn a costume into a seperate sprite, right-click on the required costume and select Turn into new sprite. Keep in mind, this will remove the costume from the current sprite, and transfer it to a new sprite, rather than duplicating it so each sprite has a copy.
- Easy sprite rotation- To carefully rotate a sprite, drag the blue line on its thumbnail. In addition, if you want to quickly set it back to 90 degrees, just double-click the sprite thumbnail.
- Deleting sprites To delete a sprite from its thumbnail, right-click on it and select Delete. Alternatively, select the scissors from the upper middle-right menu and click on the required sprite to delete.
- Rearranging sprite thumbnails- Drag the thumbnails around to the required order.
- Rearranging costumes- Drag the thumbnails to the correct order.
- Taking graphics from the background- To "carve" graphics from the background, right-click on it and select "grab screen region for new sprite".
Blocks and ScriptsEdit
- Moving blocks to another sprite- To move a set of blocks to another sprite, drag the stack over the receiving sprite's thumbnail and release.
- Straightening scripts- To place all your scripts into a vertical line, right-click the Scripts Area and select "clean up".
- Receiving help- To receive help about a block, right-click it and select "help".
- Blocks inside others- Some blocks can fit inside others - blocks with curved edges can fit inside holes with typeable contents or drop-down boxes, for example. To place a block in a gap, drag it over the wanted area and release.
- Updating default X and Y values in blocks- To update the X and Y values of specific blocks in the motion palette, leave the palette and enter it again.
- Cropping images- To crop an image, select part of it with the selection tool and push Backspace or Delete.
- Image rotation- To rotate part (or all) of an image, select it and push one of the rotation buttons.
- Precise rotation- To rotate an image by a given amount of degrees, shift-click one of the rotation buttons and input a number.
- Precise size edits- To grow or shrink an image to a given percentage, shift-click one of the size buttons and input
- Continuous stamping- To continuously stamp an image without multiple clicks, hold Shift while the mouse is down.
- Easy squares- To draw a square, hold Shift while drawing a rectangle.
- Easy circles- To draw a circle, hold Shift while drawing an oval.
- Easy lines- To draw a vertical or horizontal line, hold Shift while drawing a line.
- Opposite color selection- To import a color from the palette into the color storage piece, hold Shift while selecting
a color or click the arrow to the right of the color storage and select the second color.
- Selecting colors outside the editor- Hold the eyedropper tool and move it out of the editor.
Reporters and VariablesEdit
- Showing Stage Monitors- Check the boxes on the left of each value block.
- Changing displays- Double-click the display for it to change to the next.
Keyboard shortcuts (some are repeats)Edit
- Deleting multiple sprites- Hold Shift while using the Scissors tool to delete more than one sprite in one go.